Friday, May 22, 2009

The Royal Visit


Previously in Katey's World

The 22nd of July 2008 dawned bright and clear, it was a good omen as Richard and Penny (My brother and Sister in law) were arriving of the 3.43 train from Frankfurt. I met them joyously at the train station and delivered them to Des Alps (The local hotel) to rest until I finished work at six o clock. I arrived to Des Alps Later in the evening soaked to the skin as the heavens opened as I left work. Bad omen. So dripping on the Des Alps carpet, I met the refreshed and relaxed and mercifully dry Richard and Penny.

They were very impressed with the Kandersteg Scenery, as you were on your arrival here in our little piece of Alpine heaven. They were hungry so I helped them choose their dinner. They were unimpressed with the simple Swiss food, accustomed as they are to fine cuisine.

We continued the evening with a stroll to view my apartment, the weather had cleared up nicely, some drinks and laughter again in Des Alps. I provided them with instructions on how to find me the next day as I had to work and I bade them goodnight.

The next morning showed promise of spectacular weather. Richard and Penny came to see me in the centre and as they mentioned they had brought their walking shoes and wanted a bit of a hike, I suggested they take a cable car up to Sunbuel and walk down. It’s a nice two to three hour walk along an often steep path with big drops on one side. They mentioned Penny’s fear of heights in relation to the Cable car ride, but it never occurred to me that she might be frightened on a narrow path with hundreds of meters drop offs on one side. That was a mistake. I furnished them with a map, ensured they had adequate water supplies and rain gear and sent them happily on their way. This was about ten am. I began to worry at two when there was no sign of them returning. I understood they were to eat some lunch at the restaurant at the top of the cable car station, so I waited until three before I began to really worry. At three thirty I sent Richard a text, and he replied they were almost back. I relaxed then, they were safe and sound- or so I thought! At four o’clock they arrived in a similar condition as I imagine a person would emerge from the dark forest after a fortnight of being chased by hungry bears. Penny was shaking and pale with fear and exhaustion, Richard was shaking and red with anger and exertion. They were safe but not sound. They had had an ordeal. I seriously underestimated Richards calming abilities and Penny’s paralysing fear.

(I mention in passing this is a walk I would do of a Sunday afternoon to relax, and it is also one of our easier hike routes that we send groups of children on… ) I sent them off home to the hotel to rest and recuperate and I booked a fancy restaurant for dinner that night. Mercifully again the weather held and they were dry. I met them after work and we strolled to the restaurant, the one I brought the dogs past each morning and evening. We had a wonderful meal with fine local wine that lifted the spirits of the intrepid explorers and restored their faith in my judgement. As it was the night of the first Scout Disco of the season, I suggested we take a visit as it is a spectacle the likes of which they would never see again! So away we went for a boogie and some cheap, cheap wine.

In the beginning they were sceptical and felt out of place, then I pointed out the aging and embarrassing adult leaders dancing with gay abandon and they felt better. Until that is, I started introducing them to the various staff members that passed by. Twice so far on their visit, Richard had been mistaken for my Father. We laughed off the first mistake, Penny and I laughed off the second, I tried to laugh off the third and to explain that I had told everyone my family was visiting, which in most languages means ‘parents’ but they didn’t buy it, so after the fifth case of mistaken identity when Richard started protesting hotly that there is only 11 years between us. I decided to remove them from danger and retreat to the relative safety of Des Alps where we drank the night away in peace and age appropriate happiness.

Day three dawned with again the promise of a good day so I decided a trip to Oeschinensee would be just perfect. So Penny the brave soul, ascended the chairlift with calm and composure, Richard by her side. We rode the Rodlebahn and walked to the Lake and looked about, I pointed out the various Glaciers, features and huts as I do with most visitors. Richard had brought his binoculars, and I had quite a time convincing him that walking to the places I pointed out was not only in fact possible but frequently done by families and Scout Groups of varied abilities. There was a group on their way up to the Frundinhutte at the time and we spent two hours tracking their progress up the precarious path. We ate in the overpriced restaurant, watched the walkers and had a lovely day in the sun. I did my Eco Tour Guide thing and explained all about the Hydro power and drinking water being supplied for the village from this lake. Richard was fascinated and he wanted to know more, so I showed him the waterwheel beside my flat. He was like a child at the circus, running up and down looking at the moving parts, when I pushed the button to make it work, well he nearly wet himself with joy. He is an engineer through and through. This small miracle was nothing compared to the Swiss concrete maker he saw in the yard on the way out! (I think this was the highlight of his trip!)

No comments:

Post a Comment