Friday, May 22, 2009

The Macedonian Jamboree Part One


When I awoke, I found myself blinking in a very bright security light. It was about 4:30, by my estimation. We got out of the car, yawning and stretched ourselves awake. Meanwhile we were being approached by two big scary men all dressed in black holding very big scary guns. I looked on in terror while my companions conversed in rapid Macedonian with the very scary men. My new friends then proceeded to empty the car. I was too afraid to ask what the hell was going on, so I just picked up my rucksack and tried not to look like I was crapping my pants. Doncha, bless him, must have noticed my terror, because he explained that we had in fact arrived at the campsite (up to this point I thought we were at another checkpoint, big lights in my eyes so I couldn’t see much of the surroundings) and these gentlemen were part of the Counter Terrorist Police unit assigned to guard the campsite. These men were going to wait with us at the gate until one of the event organisers arrived to verify we were actually who we said we were. Happily this didn’t take long. Nikola arrived and confirmed that we were us and he showed us to our tents. I was getting VIP treatment as an international guest and a Pinkey. (Kandersteg Staff) So I got a very nice Jamboree tent! I also got followed around everywhere by my new big scary shadows with Guns. Everywhere. Apparently I was particularly high risk due to my milky skin and super blonde hair. (Freshly dyed for the upcoming wedding, it was literally radiant.)

So new friends and big scary shadows in tow we went looking for the party. I didn’t quite believe there would still be a party going on but my new friends assured me that it would be swinging. It was swinging! The Balkans know how to party. I was a little hesitant as everyone was greeting the others warmly in Macedonian, but as soon as they realised I was Irish I had beer in hand and was getting chatted in their best drunken mix of Macedonian and English. I almost forgot about the two great black hulking figures with big guns outside the tent, peeking in every once in a while to make sure I didn’t give them the slip. Almost. A few beers later I decided it was time to call it a night, it had been a long day and I was tired, also curious about where the two black hulks would be once I was in my tent. I intended to peek out after a few minutes but I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow/rolled up jumper. (I was in a tent!)

No comments:

Post a Comment